V 22 Osprey
|V 22 in a AEWCS Config . fan art|
As of now the world's one and only VTOL Aircraft is the Bell Boeing V 22 Osprey forget the AV 8 Harrier which is a VTOL Fighter/Bomber. The US Marines is the Primary Operator of the V 22 which is primarily built for their purpose to quick insertion in any kind of worst forntiers. The US Airforce Special forces also uses the V 22 while they previously used the S 70 and the Boeing CH 47. the Primary use of the V 22 is nothing but quickly transport the Troops at far range compared to other helicopters and provide Logistics supports to the friendlies fighting in the frontier.
Due to the Capablity of VTOL it can be land any kind of LHD, and Aircraft carriers. This impressed the English Navy to think add something the V 22 and place it in the Future Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers. Yes the QE can carry bunch of F 35 B VTOL Aircrafts along with the NH 90 for ASW support but it doesn't have any AEW and Refueler Platforms to enhance the performance of the Carrier Flight Ops. unlike other Ski Jump and Flat top carriers they use the Russian based Ka 31 AEW platform. But England need more Spohicicated Platform can perform what the American and French E 2D is doing the carrier borne complete AEWCS ( Airborne Early Warning and Control System ). so they plans to add a AESA Radar in the V 22 and add some more Jamming devices and Support systems into the V 22 to make a Lethal AEWCS System. due to the Flat top model the QE can't able to support the E 2D. which works only on the CATOBAR platforms.
|Possible Mission package of V 22 AEWCS|
The same problem for India too operating two Big sized carries both STOBAR platform. Their Primary AEW is a limited due to the Ka 31. which is a Child compared to the American E 2D System. also the only available Air refueler is the Mig 29K buddy Refeuling system. but placing four V 22 in each of our carrier two V 22 configured as a Dedicated AEWCS and two V 22 in a Aerial Tanker Configuration. both sets perfectly hold the INS Vikramaditya and the IAC 1 Vikranth. Don't worry about the IAC 2 Vishaal Navy plans to add EMALS (Electro Magnetic Assisted Take off and Landing System ) and Nuke Propulsion. so which can easily house the E 2D Hawkeye and the C 2 Greyhound logistics Support Aircraft.
|V 22 Refeuling a Navy Hornet|
As of Now Indian Special forces too shown interests in the V 22 system which can be used for Special operations in Jungle's and Other tough Terrains. where they get it or not Surely the Navy's plans will be better for Enhance the Carrier Operating Capability.
The Indian officials get briefed by the Boeing team twice about the performance and evaluation of the V 22. But the Government still didn't shown any signals on to it.
The Official Performance Characteristics from Wikipedia
- Crew: Four (pilot, copilot and two flight engineers/crew chiefs)
- Length: 57 ft 4 in (17.5 m)
- Empty weight: 33,140 lb (15,032 kg)
- Loaded weight: 47,500 lb (21,500 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 60,500 lb (27,400 kg)
- Powerplant: 2 × Rolls-Royce Allison T406/AE 1107C-Liberty turboshafts, 6,150 hp (4,590 kW) each
- Maximum speed: 275 knots (509 km/h, 316 mph) at sea level / 305 kn (565 km/h; 351 mph) at 15,000 ft (4,600 m)
- Cruise speed: 241 kn (277 mph, 446 km/h) at sea level
- Stall speed: 110 kn (126 mph, 204 km/h) in airplane mode
- Range: 879 nmi (1,011 mi, 1,627 km)
- Combat radius: 390 nmi (426 mi, 722 km)
- Ferry range: 1,940 nmi (2,230 mi, 3,590 km) with auxiliary internal fuel tanks
- Service ceiling: 25,000 ft (7,620 m)
|Folded wing house good for Field in Carriers|
|The US Navy E 2D AEWCS system|